Re: apt-get upgraded kernel, zero bytes download?

Joel Rees:
> (My system speaks to me in Japanese, so the messages below are my
> translations.)

You can prefix commands with something like 'LANGUAGE=en' in order to
change the language temporarily:

# LANGUAGE=de apt-get update
…
Es wurden 2,356 kB in 6 s geholt (391 kB/s).
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig

> 3 packages to upgrade,
> 0 B of archive to download out of 28.7 MB

This happens when some utility has already downloaded the packages into
apt's cache for you. Maybe the daily cron job in /etc/cron.daily/apt did
it for you. Look at the comments at the top of the script, there are
quite interesting options to set.

Apticron and cron-apt can do similar things.

J.
--
Driving behind lorries carrying hazardous chemicals makes me wish for a
simpler life.