apt-get upgraded kernel, zero bytes download?

(My system speaks to me in Japanese, so the messages below are my translations.)

apt-get update pulled down its usual mix of stuff, then apt-get upgrade tells me

linux-base linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 linux-libc-dev

will be upgraded, but,

3 packages to upgrade,
0 B of archive to download out of 28.7 MB

and after I told it to proceed, reads the changelog and goes to the setup stage without downloading.

What should I understand happened here? Is the upgrade entirely contained in the update? Or is something wrong with my package manager?

--
Joel Rees