Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

On 5/11/2013 9:59 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> On 05/11/13 16:43, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Analog KVM auto switches, especially super cheap ones such as your
>> IOGEAR, are notoriously finicky when it comes to driving high
>> resolutions, displaying horrible artifacts, if they can drive the
>> bandwidth at all.
>
> The image is acceptable.  The monitor has more issues than the KVM.
>
>> They also rarely pass DDC signals correctly.
>
> IOGEAR advertises newer models that query EDID from the monitor and
> cache the response for the computers.
>
>> Ironically the even cheaper manual switch analog KVMs are better with
>> DDC.
>
> I had horrible keyboard and mouse problems with manual switches.  It
> took me several iterations of buy, test, and return to find an
> electronic KVM that worked correctly.

When VMware workstation arrived over a decade ago, then Linux
hypervisors, the need for desktop KVM switches began to wane, and
eventually I was KVM free.   I still use auto KVMs in server racks but
there are no issues with 132x50 text consoles.

--
Stan