Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

debian-user:

I have an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard connected to a IOGEAR GCS78 KVM connected to a Nokia 445XiPlus monitor. The system has Debian 6.0.7 amd64 with the XFCE desktop and the default X driver/server/whatever (nouveau).

As configured, the system comes up at 1024x768 @ 60 Hz. I am unable to obtain higher bandwidth resolutions and refresh rates via Debian -> System -> Preferences -> Monitors. If I attempt to provide any xorg.conf (including an empty file), nouveau hangs during boot:

http://holgerdanske.com/users/dpchrist/bug-reports/debian/squeeze/amd64/X/

If I eliminate the KVM and connect the motherboard directly to a monitor (a Nokia 445Xi), the system comes up at 1600x1200 @ 75 Hz (e.g. maximum supported by the monitor, the video chip can do more) and I am able to obtain numerous low to high bandwidth resolutions and refresh rates via the GUI.

Apparently:

1.  The KVM is not passing EDID requests/ responses.

2.  The nouveau driver doesn't support xorg.conf.

I obtain essentially the same results with Debian 7.0.0 amd64.

How do I provide monitor information to nouveau so that the system comes up at a chosen high bandwidth resolution/ refresh rate with the KVM installed (e.g. no EDID)?

TIA,

David