Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

On 5/11/2013 4:27 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> Apparently:
>
> 1.  The KVM is not passing EDID requests/ responses.
>
> 2.  The nouveau driver doesn't support xorg.conf.
>
> I obtain essentially the same results with Debian 7.0.0 amd64.
>
> How do I provide monitor information to nouveau so that the system comes
> up at a chosen high bandwidth resolution/ refresh rate with the KVM
> installed (e.g. no EDID)?

Analog KVM auto switches, especially super cheap ones such as your
IOGEAR, are notoriously finicky when it comes to driving high
resolutions, displaying horrible artifacts, if they can drive the
bandwidth at all.  And the longer the cables the worse it gets.  They
also rarely pass DDC signals correctly.  Ironically the even cheaper
manual switch analog KVMs are better with DDC.  If you want to run
1600x1200 I think you're simply asking too much of this KVM, regardless
of the advertised 1920x1440 max resolution in the spec sheet.

I don't have an answer for you as to how you can force the startup res
of your vid card to 1600x1200.  But I think if you do find a way, your
KVM and monitor likely aren't going to deal with it very well, if at all.

Your ASUS mobo has a DVI connector, but your monitor does not.  If the
monitor did, I'd recommend you switch to a DVI/USB KVM, as that should
eliminate the problem you're having.  I'm guessing you don't need all 8
ports.  Find a used good quality/brand manual switch analog KVM and see
if that works.

Best of luck.  Analog KVMs can be a real PITA...

--
Stan