Re: grub finding but not adding other OS

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 02:51:51PM +0530, Kailash Kalyani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found this documentation on the Ubuntu site, so I'm guessing it should
> apply for debian too.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup#Main_Directories_.26_Files
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup#Main_Directories_.26_Files>
>
> First you need to ensure that an entry appears in the /etc/grub.d folder.
> This entry must be executable.
> chmod +x
>
> Then you execute update-grub as root.
>
> HTH,
> K.

Can someone who knows what they're talking about please answer this
question. (And someone who knows not to top-post).
running update-grub will overwrite any changes I make to grub's configs.
It *should* detect any other systems and automatically add them.
It's detecting the other system and not adding it.
I don't need to be told how to make things executable.
I need to understand why grub isn't adding the other system.
What happened to this list?
Is it now entirely manned by n00bs?
Edit grub configs and then run update-grub? Really?
Ubuntu...WTF?
Is this not the Debian User list?
What the heck happened in here?

thanks,