How to create a i386 deb from rpm on an amd64 system

I want to convert iscan rpm (an Epson scanner driver) to a deb.  This driver only works on i386 systems.

I have installed multiarch on my system but it seems that there is no alien that can do the job on my system.

Alternatively, I have an old deb of this package but dpkg complains there is a duplicate 'Architecture' line in the control file.  Using mc I could copy the control file from the package to /tmp/ and edit it, but I could not put it back.  How can I correct the control file in the debian package?

Regards
Johann

--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)