Re: Install debian from scratch and keep a home partition

On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 12:54 +0200, Dan wrote:
> - merge the old passwd, group, shadow and gshadow with the new files
> found in /etc

Don't do that! Set up the groups again and add new passwords again.

> Remove the home directory

No need to do that. Just install Debian with home, included to the /
directory, instead of an additional partition. After installation you
can remove /home and mount the home partition instead, by /etc/fstab.

I prefer to keep everything within / and don't use a separated /home, so
I have to copy an old /home, resp. I only copy emails and VBox settings,
but anything else I set up again, so it for sure does fit to new
versions of the used software.