Re: rootfs

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> > rootfs                  322M  213M     93M  70% /
> > /dev/mapper/debian-root  322M  213M     93M  70% /
> > tmpfs                   368M   11M    339M   3% /tmp
> > /dev/mapper/debian-tmp   368M   11M    339M   3% /tmp
>
> Note: something odd here: / and /tmp is listed twice!?

Unfortunately that is the new normal due to the change of /etc/mtab
from being a file that tracks the mount history to being a symlink
pointing to /proc/mounts and the kernels current mount state file.  I
consider this a collateral damage regression in behavior in Wheezy due
to that change.  It will hopefully get fixed in a future version.

The kernel mounts the root file system based upon the command line
parameters passed in by grub in the root=STRING argument.  That causes
the initrd to mount / the first time.  Then later it is re-mounted due
to it being listed in the /etc/fstab.  That is the second time.

I haven't seen /tmp listed twice before but it is surely due to
something related.  Mounted as tmpfs first the initramfs probably and
then again differently in the fstab.  Perhaps doing a rebuild of the
initramfs would cache different values.  Or perhaps it is listed in
the /etc/fstab twice?

This isn't bad on LVM systems because the names are short.  But on
UUID mounts the line is too long for comfort.

Bob

P.S. See also this recent posting.