Re: administration of initscripts

Joel Roth wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
> > Getting rid of all the /etc/default disable options will be a release
> > goal for jessie.
>
> Good. I'd prefer to be rid of /etc/default entirely!

So you would rather that people edit the /ec/init.d/* scripts
themselves and manage them as conffiles at upgrade time and merge them
all at upgrade time?  Because AFAIK that is the advantage that
/etc/default/* brings.  It allows a very small declarative file to
modify the behavior of the /etc/init.d/* imperative progamming.

Basically anything that happens at boot time operates through the init
scripts.  If the init scripts offer a declarative way to configure
themselves then allow those variables to be in /etc/default/*.  The
merging of the default files upon upgrade is much easier than the
merging of the init scripts upon upgrade.  Using /etc/default is very
simple and straight forward.

> For example, I just learned about /etc/default/keyboard.
>
> Why not /etc/keyboard or /etc/keyboard.default? Having a central
> location for software configuration used to be a feature.

There are 2409 files in my /etc directory.  You want them all flat at
the top level directory?  Please, no thank you.  I will happily take a
little bit of organization and put files in subdirectories.

At one time the /etc directory used to be a very large flat directory
as you are wanting.  It had thousands of files in it.  It was quite
difficult to keep track of files there.  Moving files into
subdirectories is a very useful organization.

> At the very least, whenever there is /etc/default/something,
> /etc/something should have a comment
>
> # see /etc/default/something for additional configuration options

Please no.  Thousands and thousands of files.  And all duplicates of
files elsewhere.  There would be many people who would be confused by
the extra noise and adding configuration in the wrong file.  And
subsequent bug reports asking to remove those files.

Bob