Continued problems with Canon 110 scanner

This scanner worked on my old computer with Squeeze and Xsane.  I have
installed Squeeze on my new computer.  Now the scanner doesn't work.  It lies
inert and dead and neither xsane nor sane-find-scanner can find it.

The problem seems to me to be any or all of 3 possible things:
1) The scanner may be dead.
2) The USB cable may be dead.
3) There is a software problem.

I have tried to acquire a new cable to eliminate that as the problem.  I
failed in getting the cable I wanted, so have returned to looking at the
problem anew.

I almost bought a new scanner.  But if the problem is software related, a new
scanner won't work either.

All my Googling seems to suggest that the problem may be USB related.  I have
read the relevant man page and remain befuddled.  lsusb can see the scanner
and correctly identify it; sane-find-scanner cannot see it.
lisi@Tux-II:~$ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0a81:0205 Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse
Adapter
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04a9:1909 Canon, Inc. CanoScan LiDE 110
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
lisi@Tux-II:~$
lisi@Tux-II:~$ sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have
setup
  # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.
  # SANE has been built without libusb support. This may be a reason
  # for not detecting USB scanners. Read README for more details.

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.
lisi@Tux-II:~$
Help!

Thanks.