Re: root password

You can, by booting from some other media and changing the /etc/shadow
file. Or running a chroot, but I would suggest you take a look at your
keymap configuration.
If your password has non alphanumeric characters then it's likely that
what you inputted during the install is not what you really meant.

Or if you have access to sudo, you can run "sudo passwd". That will
change the root password.

Hope that helps.
Guido