INN2 and Authentication.

I am in the process of setting up an INN2, newsgroup server for small community discussion.

So far I have INN2 working fine with no authentication and no SSL, but I will definitely need these working before I am confident in letting this service out.  Does anyone have any experience with setting this up?

 I have read the man pages and google, and have seen some reference to ckpassword (which is not available for debian?).  Anyone help with authentication would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

nick