Re: NAS raid with Debian?

On Apr 4, 2013, at 2:37 AM, Chris Davies wrote:

Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
Are there any readily available, inexpensive (US$200-500), NAS
(Network Attached Storage) boxes in the 1-3TB capacity that are
capable of running Debian and NFS?

Roll your own with an HP Proliant microserver (the N40L series that are
just being replaced). I bought mine for about £120 a couple of months
ago. Add a pair of 3TB disks also at £100 each. Add more memory (it comes with 2GB; I replaced that with 8GB) and a second NIC if required. Power
usage is fairly steady at 7W. The resulting cost is towards your upper
end but it's a (very) good piece of kit.

Or a lower-end QNAP, which runs Linux (but not Debian
specifically). Again, you'll need to add a pair of 3TB disks.

Chris

Thanks! Chris,

I'll look into that setup as well. My application is space and budget constrained, so cheaper is better. We don't need all 3TB right now -- though ask me again in a couple of years... (: so maybe I'll go with a couple of 1TB's to keep the cost down.

Enjoy!

Rick