Re: update of clamav fails - bad variable errors

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Shane Johnson
<sdj@rasmussenequipment.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM, francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Shane Johnson
>> <sdj@rasmussenequipment.com> wrote:

>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > It looks like you have a previous installation that didn't finish.  I
>> > would
>> > purge and reinstall.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>
>> This system runs SMTP for about 5000 users.  I think you can
>> understand why I'm looking for some insight into why the upgrade
>> is failing.
>>
>> Right now the system is running.  If I purged and reinstalled,
>> and afterward clamav is still barfing on config variables or something,
>> I have a service which is down.
>

> Sorry I should have gone into more depth and  been clearer.
> From my experience you have a few options.
> From what I can discern, The error is from ClamAV not finding the correct
> location for the update that freshclam needs for the update.  You can try to
> do run
>
> freshclam
>
> from the command line and see if that will get the right settings in  your
> conf file.  If that runs you should be able to run
>
> aptitude install -f
>
> and it should be able to finalize the install and you should be good.
> If that doesn't work, you can run
>
> aptitude purge clamav freshclam
>
> to remove all traces of the program and then the normal
>
> aptitude install clamav
>
> to re-install it and hopefully have the correct location for the update
> files.
> I'm going from memory here, but when I resolved this issue on my old squeeze
> system (Running all wheezy now) I believe those where the steps I had to
> take to remedy this problem.
>
> --
> Shane D. Johnson
> IT Administrator
> Rasmussen Equipment

I am going to leave the reinstall to another hour of the day when users
won't be impacted much.  In the meantime, I thought I'd test the
freshclam run from the command line.  First I need to stop
the current daemon, and it triggers the same errors I'm seeing
from attempts to update:

# /etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam  stop
export: 266: DatabaseOwner
UpdateLogFile
LogVerbose
LogSyslog
LogFacility
LogFileMaxSize
LogTime
Foreground
Debug
MaxAttempts
DatabaseDirectory
DNSDatabaseInfo
AllowSupplementaryGroups
PidFile
ConnectTimeout
ReceiveTimeout
TestDatabases
ScriptedUpdates
CompressLocalDatabase
Bytecode
Checks
DatabaseMirror
DatabaseMirror: bad variable name

At this time, some of the packages have been updated, but not others:

# dpkg -l | grep clamav
iU  clamav                              0.97.7+dfsg-1~squeeze1
anti-virus utility for Unix - command-line interface
iF  clamav-base                         0.97.7+dfsg-1~squeeze1
anti-virus utility for Unix - base package
iFR clamav-daemon                       0.97.6+dfsg-1~squeeze1
anti-virus utility for Unix - scanner daemon
iFR clamav-freshclam                    0.97.6+dfsg-1~squeeze1
anti-virus utility for Unix - virus database update utility
ii  libclamav6                          0.97.7+dfsg-1~squeeze1
anti-virus utility for Unix - library

It is rare for me to be the only person experiencing an error like this
from a standard update procedure.  The configuration file had not
been changed for quite some time and should be OK, aside from any
changes required for the new version - but it is complaining of too many
of those for it to be real.

I can go the kill route to resolve the init error easily.  I'm looking
for something
more in depth of anyone else experiencing this update failure.  Why
does freshclam
not stop?

Same for asking for status:

# /etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam  status