Re: update of clamav fails - bad variable errors

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM, francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Shane Johnson
<sdj@rasmussenequipment.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM, francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> The following packages will be upgraded:
>>   clamav-daemon
>> The following partially installed packages will be configured:
>>   clamav clamav-base
>
> <snip>
>
> It looks like you have a previous installation that didn't finish.  I would
> purge and reinstall.
>
> Thanks

This system runs SMTP for about 5000 users.  I think you can
understand why I'm looking for some insight into why the upgrade
is failing.

Right now the system is running.  If I purged and reinstalled,
and afterward clamav is still barfing on config variables or something,
I have a service which is down.

Sorry I should have gone into more depth and  been clearer.
From my experience you have a few options.
>From what I can discern, The error is from ClamAV not finding the correct location for the update that freshclam needs for the update.  You can try to do run

freshclam

from the command line and see if that will get the right settings in  your conf file.  If that runs you should be able to run

aptitude install -f

and it should be able to finalize the install and you should be good.
If that doesn't work, you can run

aptitude purge clamav freshclam

to remove all traces of the program and then the normal

aptitude install clamav

to re-install it and hopefully have the correct location for the update files.
I'm going from memory here, but when I resolved this issue on my old squeeze system (Running all wheezy now) I believe those where the steps I had to take to remedy this problem.

--
Shane D. Johnson
IT Administrator