Re: HP NC380T Dual Port PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Card (374443-001) in Debian

On 3/29/2013 10:33 PM, Eric Gamess wrote:

> I am planning to install a HP NC380T Dual Port PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
> Card (374443-001) in our Debian 6.0.6 computer.

Do you already have it?  What do you plan to use it for?  Dual GbE
suggests high bandwidth and/or redundancy requirements.

> I have no idea if Debian has support for this card. I understand that
> in some Linux versions, this is done with the bce drivers.

If you already have it, just plug it in.

> Any one has experience with this card??? If not, any recommendation
> for a PCI-E dual port Gigabit Ethernet card that works in Debian 6.0.6
> ???

The Intel cards are always cheaper, work out-of-the-box with the stock
Intel drivers in Squeeze 2.6.32.  I don't know if the Broadcom chip on
the HP NC380 is supported by the Squeeze 2.6.32 though it surely is in
the backports 3.2.x kernel.  The other big concern is non-free firmware
it may require, which may make it a PITA to use with Debian.  Intel is
really good about keeping their F/W free so the cards "just work" on any
Linux distro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106126
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316121

Comparing the I350T with the NC382 (Newegg has no NC380), going Intel
not only guarantees Debian compatibility, but saves you ~$80.
Performance is identical, possibly better with the Intel.

FWIW, I always go with Intel NICs.  They literally "just work" with
Linux, always.  I really disdain feeding Chipzilla, and I give all my
CPU business to AMD.  But when it comes to NICs I'm unable to ween
myself.  They simply work, every time, all the time, and the performance
is top shelf.

--
Stan