Re: console mode

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:50:56 -0400 (EDT), Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 29 March 2013 13:15:13 Linux-Fan wrote:
>> Question: what are the default use assigned to the f1 through f7
>> consoles.
>>
>> i do understand that f7 is gui.
>
> Sometimes also F8.

Gnome (and probably other desktop environments also) only uses F8 when
restarted, and then only due to a bug.  If you perform the "logout"
function after logging in to the GUI, Gnome is supposed
to shutdown and then restart again on vt7.  Unfortunately, due to a bug,
vt7 does not get completely deallocated.  Thus, when Gnome tries to
restart, it finds vt7 apparently "in use" and moves on to vt8.
Here's how to circumvent this bug.

After performing the "logout" function and the GUI login screen is
presented, switch to a text console, login as root, and issue the
following sequence of commands:

   /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
   deallocvt 8
   killall console-kit-daemon
   deallocvt 7
   /etc/init.d/gdm3 start

Gnome should restart on vt7 this time.  console-kit-daemon appears
to be the culprit.  If you issue "deallocvt 7" before killing
console-kit-daemon, "deallocvt 7" will fail.  I reported this as a
bug a long time ago, but nothing has been done about it.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :