Re: Broken wheezy update with my graphics card

On 28 March 2013 23:34, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu 28 Mar 2013 at 20:13:29 +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> Tonights spot of upgrades [dmsetup libdevmapper-event1.02.1
>> libdevmapper1.02.1 liblvm2app2.2 libxdo2 xdotool ] has posed a
>> particular problem for me. I noticed in the setting up of them these
>> lines ..... W: Possible missing firmware
>> /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw for module r8169 ... about 8 of
>> them all saying more or less the same. I've been told that I should
>
> I've only seen similar messages when the kernel was updated and
> update-initramfs was run. Note 'possible'.
>
>    ls -l /lib/firmware/
>
> is worth a shot - just as a check. Is rtl8168f-2.fw there?.

Nope! :)

> The module concerned is r8169. Another check:
>
>    /sbin/modinfo r8169

Nope, not there either, but, it did show that my ethernet card is a
'03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)'.

> The kernel would make use of the same information to inform userspace
> about any needed firmware. 'Needed' in the sense it is listed in
> modinfo's output; the kernel and the userspace program will actually
> have no idea whether the firmware will improve or degrade the
> performance of the device or have no effect on it.
>
>> install 'firmware-linux-nonfree' but from past experience with this
>> graphics card I will end up with a 'paisley patterned 'desktop which
>> will be unusable. Equally well, If I don't do something then the
>> machine will just hang the next time it is rebooted. My graphics card
>> is '00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
>> nee ATI Device 9645'.
>>
>> Any advice as to how to proceed please?
>
> The r8169 module drives an ethernet adaptor. This card was working
> before the upgrade, without firmware, we assume, so it is likely to
> continue to work after it. Don't bother with firmware is one option. If
> it is the wrong decision you can always install the firmware-realtek
> package afterwards to restore the adaptor to working order.

I'm hoping that wont be necessary and that I wont be in the situation
of having to rescue my box. Time will tell.

Thanks all, its been most instructive.
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian Wheezy, MATE 1.5.8., LibreOffice 3.5.4.2