Re: Broken wheezy update with my graphics card

On Thu 28 Mar 2013 at 20:13:29 +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> Tonights spot of upgrades [dmsetup libdevmapper-event1.02.1
> libdevmapper1.02.1 liblvm2app2.2 libxdo2 xdotool ] has posed a
> particular problem for me. I noticed in the setting up of them these
> lines ..... W: Possible missing firmware
> /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168f-2.fw for module r8169 ... about 8 of
> them all saying more or less the same. I've been told that I should

I've only seen similar messages when the kernel was updated and
update-initramfs was run. Note 'possible'.

   ls -l /lib/firmware/

is worth a shot - just as a check. Is rtl8168f-2.fw there?.

The module concerned is r8169. Another check:

   /sbin/modinfo r8169

The kernel would make use of the same information to inform userspace
about any needed firmware. 'Needed' in the sense it is listed in
modinfo's output; the kernel and the userspace program will actually
have no idea whether the firmware will improve or degrade the
performance of the device or have no effect on it.

> install 'firmware-linux-nonfree' but from past experience with this
> graphics card I will end up with a 'paisley patterned 'desktop which
> will be unusable. Equally well, If I don't do something then the
> machine will just hang the next time it is rebooted. My graphics card
> is '00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
> nee ATI Device 9645'.
>
> Any advice as to how to proceed please?

The r8169 module drives an ethernet adaptor. This card was working
before the upgrade, without firmware, we assume, so it is likely to
continue to work after it. Don't bother with firmware is one option. If
it is the wrong decision you can always install the firmware-realtek
package afterwards to restore the adaptor to working order.