Grub edits at boot not saved

Upon booting wheezy I get a message "vga=399 deprecated Enter set
gfxpayload=1600x1200x24,1600x1200 before linux"

Just before loading the boot file there is an option to press e to edit
the grub startup file.  When this is chosen the file appears in a window
with instructions below the window which state minimum Emacs edit
enabled.  I use the arrow keys to move to the line before the one
begining linux and add the line set gfxpayload=1600x1200x24,1600x1200.
Having done this I would like to save and exit with the Emacs command
Ctl-x Ctl-s.  This doesn't work as in this screen Ctl-x is the command
to contine booting the system so the edits are not saved.

Wheezy is loaded and runs with no problems but I shut the system down
every night and when I boot the system in the morning the message
vga=399 deprecated is back.

Should I bother to try to fix this and, if so, how?

Tom