Inability to launch Cinnamon

I've just installed cinnamon to try it out again on a new monitor. but
when i try to access it i don't get any desktop just the gdm3 greeter
background. i suspect i have corrupt desktop for it from my last
attempt at using it, so I've deleted all items saying cinnamon i can
find in .local. and .share i think it was, I've done an apt-get
autoremove/purge/clean, and then reinstalled but I get no further when
i try to launch it than logging onto it from the gdm3 greeter, and
then the debian swirly background. I've checked with 'updatedb' and
then 'locate cinnamon', and removed all references that i can find,
but am still not able to log onto cinnamon. Where am I going wrong
please?

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian Wheezy, LXDE 2 LibreOffice 3.5.4.2