Re: Console showing control characters for input on console keyboard

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> francis picabia wrote:
>> reset won't work as I cannot login to the tty.
>>
>> If there is a way to direct the reset to another tty
>> or tset has a way to do that it could help because only
>> ssh logins are working.
>
> You said you can log in with ssh.  Log in with ssh and then redirect
> the output to the console as root.
>
>   reset >/dev/console
>
> Although I can't remember if tset or reset operate on stdin like stty
> does.  You might need to redirect stdin instead.
>
>   reset >/dev/console </dev/console
>
> Also there is stty.  I sometimes have used it to reset terminals.  Use
> the -g option to dump the full terminal settings in an encoded way and
> then load them back in to the terminal.  Note that stty uses stdin by
> default but can be specified explicitly with the -F option.
>
>   stty -F /dev/console $(stty -g)
>
> But perhaps more easily understood by walking through this sequence:
>   stty -g
>   stty -g > /tmp/stty-g.good.out
>   stty $(cat /tmp/stty-g.good.out) < /dev/console
>
> Bob

Thanks for the ideas.  I've tried both, with /dev/tty1 and /dev/console
but it didn't change anything.  reset seemed to affect the ssh session,
not the tty so it seems the I/O redirection doesn't do anything there.

Another idea I tried was to insert the reset and stty sane
commands into the inittab:

6:23:respawn:/bin/stty sane;/usr/bin/reset;/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

and kill the getty running on tty6.  It made no difference when
testing on VT6 after this.

I think we'll just have to live with a reset via reboot whenever the
option becomes available, while not removing the PS/2 connections again.