Console showing control characters for input on console keyboard

After some random keys were hit on a KVM, the console
is showing control characters as the input.  We switched
KVM console and the PS/2 KVM adapter, but the problem
sticks with the system/OS.  Killing all getty to allow them to respawn
has not helped.

ssh logins are fine.  Only the console input is effected.
It is showing ^R^O^O^T when 'root' is input (like a caps lock
for control).

Many years ago I saw systems which would switch to all
upper case if the login input was given in upper case.
This problem is similar.

Is there something which can be entered on the keyboard
to reset this or some process restarted?  Obviously I'm
trying to avoid the disruption of a reboot on a server.