Re: Seeking advise on changing names of target in dm-crypt

On 18/03/13 08:40, J.A. de Vries wrote:
On 2013-03-18 03:03, green wrote:
J.A. de Vries wrote at 2013-03-17 13:46 -0500:
I have been messing around with fstab, crypttab, blkid.tab, grub and
initramfs and every time a new dependency rears its ugly head. The
system still keeps asking for the original name of the partition with /
on it. I am thinking of giving up and just starting anew (reinstall).
That'll probably cost me less time. It's not the way I like to do
things, but I just don't have time to solve this mess.

Have you run `update-initramfs -u`?

I did.

I also adapted grub.cfg to point it to the correct partition and ran
update-grub.

Still, at boot the system keeps asking for a partition with the original
name. A grep on /etc and /boot does not find it anymore, but  the
systems keeps asking for it.

Grx HdV
I had a similar problem with "Where does the update-initramfs hook get the kernel name from?"

I just realised that I posted the solution - to myself.

Here it is.
> According to the docs you mentioned, the script gets supplied the kernel version from
>
> "uname -r".
>
> The output I get is "2.6.32-5-amd64", not "26.32.5-amd64.squeeze" as you see above,
> so the documentation must be wrong.
>
> Philip

I finally went ahead and did an "apt-get source initramfs-tools" to check this out
after upgrading to Wheezy.

The postinstall hook was calling "update-initramfs -u"
This script looks in $STATEDIR which is /var/lib/initramfs-tools by default, for
versions to sort so it can get the latest one.

The problem was that if you create a few flavours yourself, delete them in
/boot and don't know about $STATEDIR then "update-initramfs -u" will forever
more tell you about non-existent versions.

The solution in this case is to delete the checksum files in $STATEDIR that match
the ones you already deleted in /boot.

The correct procedure is to "update-initramfs -k some-version -d".

There should probably be a Debian web page to store solutions to problems like
this.

Regards,
Philip