Re: Seeking advise on changing names of target in dm-crypt

On 2013-02-20 07:14, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Recently I've added a couple of disks to a system. All these disks
> are encrypted using dm-crypt with the Luks extensions. The result is
> working just fine, but now I have the old target names the installer
> defined and the new ones I added. Normally no biggie, but the names
> the installer added have become confusing in the new setup, because
> the order of the disks has changed. This means I now have targets
> named like sdb1_crypt etc. that are no longer related to sdb at all.
>
> I am thinking of changing the names of the targets in crypttab and
> fstab. Are there other files I need to adjust? Any pitfalls I need to
> > be aware of? I am thinking especially of the target that contains
> /.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

>> Please give us a report when you're done.  I curious how it turns
>> out!

My advise? Don't even try this for the disk with the root filesystem on
it. All other disks are easy.

I have been messing around with fstab, crypttab, blkid.tab, grub and
initramfs and every time a new dependency rears its ugly head. The
system still keeps asking for the original name of the partition with /
on it. I am thinking of giving up and just starting anew (reinstall).
That'll probably cost me less time. It's not the way I like to do
things, but I just don't have time to solve this mess.

Grx HdV