Re: OT: Windows, a command-line OS (Was: Re: Not for me.)

Le Lun 4 mars 2013 23:35, Alois Mahdal a écrit :
>> Well, I might be wrong, I'm not an admin... but if one here
>> knows how to remove, say, explorer.exe, I would be very happy to learn
>> how to [...]
>
> Maybe a good start:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_shell_replacement

I have already found some years ago, but nothing satisfying me, sadly.
Last year I also found some window managers, but, anew, I did not found
something able to replace the windows' window manager: only stuff to add a
layer, with all the flaws it gave, considering how poorly windows is able
to configure keyboard shortcuts (when the SUPER/WINDOWS/WHATEVER key is
involved, at least).

>> [...] since it would mean I could replace the
>> buggy (I stopped at windows XP, it may explain my harsh words... or not.)
>> graphical stuff with something more stable.
>
> Maybe I'm wearing pink glasses, maybe bugs are afraid of me,
> maybe it's kind of like Stockholm syndrome or maybe I'm just a lucky
> bastard.  But I don't remember having real problems with explorer.exe in
> past like three years. (Win 7 but formerly XP at work...)
>
> (Or maybe my memory does a good editing job for
> me--Except for occasional gaming I have managed to avoid Win for almost
> three months now.)

I do not now if you are lucky or ... , but, for example, I have a quite
funny and reproducible crash, which involves Xming (do not remember the
version, I only uses that tool at work, to use my own computer's but with
the enterprise screen and keyboard, the only 2 things which can beat my
laptop: screen by size, keyboard by being noisy to show I am using it :D
).

To reproduce:
_ xming is installed
_ some folders have a "toolbar" on desktop, one of them containing a file
to open with xming
_ host have a different "hash" (changing IP is usually how it changes)

When those conditions are present (quite often in my situation) then xming
crashes, *with* explorer (process separation, where are you?) and the only
way you have is to run the taskmanager, kill explorer and restart it.
Then, I become able to start xming linked with my computer, without more
problems.
Of course, xming had the first problem, but I can not see why explorer
have to follow it in death.

This one is only the one I am able to reproduce on a daily basis, of course.
taskmgr is really a useful software.

> Also, about the CLI: I have also written quite bunch of cmd.exe
> scripts, and my experience is that basically what worked in 2000, worked
> the same all the way up to Win 8.
>
> For Windows CLI syntax, there has been some "evolution"
> (command.com => cmd.exe) which happened to turn the mess into a
> big mess. It was positive, though:  with command.com, it was only
> spaghetti. With cmd.exe, it was like spaghetti ON STEROIDS. (Read:
> stronger than you and agressive to your brain.)

I agree.
MS-DOS was pretty usable with some configuration, IIRC, when it was the
real one (ok, far from current bash anyway). But when they stopped the 9x
branch of windows, they removed many useful commands, and also modified
options of existing ones: MS-DOS "dir" command was far more powerful than
the one XP SP3 embeds.
But maybe it is some nostalgia, considering I started tinkering on MS-DOS
and QBasic :)

This year, I discovered PowerShell, but the only thing I have found
powerful in it (considering that I am a linux user, a windows user should
be really impressed by that, I suppose.) was the pretentious name, the
length of lines, the lack of history and the poor auto-completion.

With windows, I can not imagine using command line as file explorer, and
on my linux computers I have no longer file explorers (graphical or
semi-graphical).