Re: Installation failed - and failed again...

On Sun 03 Mar 2013 at 23:34:23 -0300, Joao Luis Meloni Assirati wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > fdisk leaves space at the beginning of the drive because GRUB requires
> > it to embed part of itself there. But GRUB will not go there because it
> > thinks it is overwriting data on the disk when it detects the iso9660
> > signature. This is by design.
>
> This is clearly a bug, because the disk has a partition table and
> therefore there is no useful data before the first partition.

It might be advisable to read

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-10/msg00207.html

before tackling the GRUB maintainers. The behaviour can be overridden
but not with --force.

> > D-I uses partman for partitioning. It too leaves an embedding area which
> > contains the iso9660 data sector. The solution is to remember to do
> >
> >    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX count=65
> >
> > before partitioning.
>
> But this will destroy the partition table, which is not right if you have
> other operating systems or partitions containing data. Maybe 'grub-install
> --force <device>' would suffice?

The act of writing the isohybrid destroys all data on the drive so at
this point it is a bit late to worry about that. :)

Should the need arise to target the specific sector with the iso9660
data on it then something like

   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=512 seek=63 count=64

could be used.