Who may post on the list.

I ought not to quote from Mark without his permission, so I have firmly
pre-rapped my knuckles.

If there were a moderator I would be contacting her/him.  As there is not, I
want the list's opinion, and it cannot give an opinion without the data.

As I see it Mark has no right to dictate what list members may or may not do
on-list, nor to lay down ground rules.  And in my opinion the archives
matter.  So if there is a simple answer it should be in the archives.  My
reply to him has been bottom posted in the quotation.

<quote>
On Sunday 03 March 2013 23:34:48 Mark Filipak wrote:
> Ms. Riesz,
>
> You obviously do not read what people post.
> When you see something on the list from me, kindly ignore it.
> I've had quite enough abuse from you.
>
> On 2013/3/3 6:23 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 March 2013 22:40:22 Mark Filipak wrote:
> >> Comment: I submitted 'aptitude install wicd' because it was part of the
> >> example I followed. Obviously, 'wicd' is not sufficient.
> >
> > Why is it obviously not sufficient?  I would have said that it was.  But
> > you would need the right repositories and a connection to the net. On my
> > box:
> >
> > root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# aptitude install wicd
> > The following NEW packages will be installed:
> >    libnl1{a} libpcsclite1{a} python-glade2{a} python-iniparse{a}
> > python-notify{a}
> >    python-wicd{a} wicd wicd-daemon{a} wicd-gtk{a} wpasupplicant{a}
> > 0 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 1,180 kB of archives. After unpacking 4,212 kB will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
> > Abort.
> > root@Tux-II:/home/lisi#
> >
> > As you see, just "wicd" would be fine.  I aborted because I have no
> > wireless on this box and so don't actually want it installed.
> >
> >> Question: Why
> >> didn't 'aptitude install wicd_1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3_all.deb' work?
> >
> > If you want to install a .deb in that way, you need to use dpkg, as
> > mentioned by Joe:
> >
> >  From the directory that the deb is in:
> > dpkg -i wicd_1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3_all.deb
> >
> > If it complains that there are missing dependencies, curse, wish you had
> > used aptitude, and install them.  Someone else will need to tell you how
> > to manage that from a box without internet access.  I, when faced with
> > this problem, always temporarily install an old network card so that I
> > have got internet access to sort things out.
> >
> > HTH
> > Lisi

You have absoluitely no right to tell me that I may or may not post to the
list.   You have every right to delete my mails unread if you so wish - or,
more intelligently, set up a filter to kill-file them.

For the record, you have had no abuse of any kind from me.

Lisi Reisz
</quote>