Re: Converting a running system to a VirtualBox VM

On 03/03/2013 06:10 AM, Johan Grönqvist wrote:
2013-03-03 08:56, Marc Shapiro skrev:
So, does anyone know of a way to convert my current system to a
Virtualbox VM? Or would it be better to just create a new machine and
install from scratch? Getting Citrix Receiver running properly always
seems to be a hassle, so I thought that converting my current system
might be easier. Any suggestions?

<http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp22220176>

I _think_ you _might_ want to try booting to a live-cd, and run something like

VBoxManage convertfromraw /dev/sda/ vboximage.vdi

Then try to boot the vboximage.vdi disk in vbox.

When I used it, I did roughly:

dd if=/dev/sda of=diskimage.dd
VBoxManage convertfromraw diskimage.dd vboximage.vdi

I have only tried it once, but it worked much better than I had expected (yes, I was more pessimistic than I should have been).
This looks promising. I will give it a try. Since I have already installed Wheezy in a separate partition I should be able to boot to Wheezy and then create the .vdi from the Squeeze partition, instead of using a live CD. Now I just have to get the other two people using this computed to save and close active files so that I CAN reboot. That may take a while, but I will report back when I get a chance to try this.

Marc