Re: Help please - install the WiFi driver

On 2013/3/3 7:22 PM, Mr G wrote:
Good. You found the problem.

< Package `firmware-iwlwifi' is not installed and no info is available.

So now you need to get you and firmware-iwlwifi.deb in the same directory.

=====
mark@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages$ dpkg -s firmware-iwlwifi
Package `firmware-iwlwifi' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
mark@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages$ dpkg -s firmware-iwlwifi_0.28+squeeze1_all
Package `firmware-iwlwifi_0.28+squeeze1_all' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
mark@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages$ dpkg -s firmware-iwlwifi_0.28+squeeze1_all.deb
Package `firmware-iwlwifi_0.28+squeeze1_all.deb' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
mark@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages$
=====

Yes, as you can see from the terminal session above, the CWD is
   'mark@MarkFilipak:/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages'.
I guess that's really
   '/home/mark/media/usb8/Setup/Debian 6.0.6 64-bit/Packages'
but I'm not really sure.

-snip-
$ sudo dpkg -i firmware-iwlwifi.deb

as a regular user or:

# dpkg -i firmware-iwlwifi.deb

as root. Again I don't know how you answered the questions when you
installed.

Aside from my name, password, and time zone, the installer didn't ask any questions (Thank doG!).
In my previous encounters with Linux, the installer asked a million questions as though I knew what the stuff was and disk space was incredibly expensive. I just answered 'Yes' to everything, and then I wound up with a non-working system. That's why I wrote "I've never successfully installed Linux" last week. That brought the wrath of the Linux-stuffedshirtkingdom down on me and I had to run for the hills.

As you can see from the terminal session above, I was not alerted to run as root. When I tried 'Aptitude' a hour or so ago, I was alerted to run as root, but this time, no.

I'll go back and try running 'dpkg' as root, but you said that 'dpkg' is not an installer, so I'm confused regarding why I'm doing it. I'll be back in a few minutes.

Ciao - Mark.