Re: Help please - install the WiFi driver

On Sunday 03 March 2013 22:40:22 Mark Filipak wrote:
> Comment: I submitted 'aptitude install wicd' because it was part of the
> example I followed. Obviously, 'wicd' is not sufficient.

Why is it obviously not sufficient?  I would have said that it was.  But you
would need the right repositories and a connection to the net. On my box:

root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# aptitude install wicd
  libnl1{a} libpcsclite1{a} python-glade2{a} python-iniparse{a}
python-notify{a}
  python-wicd{a} wicd wicd-daemon{a} wicd-gtk{a} wpasupplicant{a}
0 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,180 kB of archives. After unpacking 4,212 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.
root@Tux-II:/home/lisi#

As you see, just "wicd" would be fine.  I aborted because I have no wireless
on this box and so don't actually want it installed.

> Question: Why
> didn't 'aptitude install wicd_1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3_all.deb' work?

If you want to install a .deb in that way, you need to use dpkg, as mentioned
by Joe:

From the directory that the deb is in:
dpkg -i wicd_1.7.0+ds1-5+squeeze3_all.deb

If it complains that there are missing dependencies, curse, wish you had used
aptitude, and install them.  Someone else will need to tell you how to manage
that from a box without internet access.  I, when faced with this problem,
always temporarily install an old network card so that I have got internet
access to sort things out.

HTH
Lisi