Re: Converting a running system to a VirtualBox VM

Dear Marc,

Marc Shapiro wrote:
> It runs fine on Squeeze using IA32-libs.  There does not seem to be a
> native 64-bit version for linux.  I decided I would install Wheezy,
> activate multi-arch for i386 and install the 32-bit version.  It was a
> good plan, except that it does not work.  The Citrix Receiver apparently
> requires nspluginwrapper, which is not available in Wheezy because it
> depends on ia32-libs and so does not play nicely with multi-arch.

Really? At least for me, apt-get install nspluginwrapper appeared
positive that I could install it, although it would pull in fifty
trillions (65 MB) of extra i386 libraries.

>      1) Stick with Squeeze indefinitely

Meh.

> So, does anyone know of a way to convert my current system to a
> Virtualbox VM?  Or would it be better to just create a new machine and
> install from scratch?  Getting Citrix Receiver running properly always
> seems to be a hassle, so I thought that converting my current system
> might be easier.  Any suggestions?

Do you have a possibility to boot into another system, so that you
don’t have to run VirtualBox on the system you want to clone? If so,
you can either tell VirtualBox to use the partition of your current
system as a physical disk, or you could boot the VM from some live
CD, partition it properly and then simply rsync -avH your system over.

Best,

Claudius
--
Please don’t CC me.