Re: moving /var

Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> >> A simple live CD is sufficient:
> >> Debian netinst minimal CD in rescue mode is sufficient to do so.
> >> Do not forget to update the /etc/fstab configuration file with respect
> >> to the change; to clean up the /var (and let an empty one) in the `/'
> >> (root) partition.
> >
> > It is simpler to move the partition in single user mode. Just issue the command (as root)

+1 for single user mode.  No need to boot other media.  The system is
designed to be self-sufficient.

> > # shutdown now
>
> Hmm, I have always used the init command to change runlevels. So I would have gone for:
> # init 1

The documented interface is 'telinit' to tell init to change
runlevels.  But in practice telinit is linked to init.  Therefore it
works both ways.

  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jun  7  2012 /sbin/telinit -> init

> And indeed single user lever is the way to go for lots of stuff like this.

Agreed.

Bob