Re: Moving from a proprietary OS - unnecessarily inful experience -- was [Re: I wish to advocate linux]

Brian wrote:
On Fri 01 Mar 2013 at 08:34:57 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Fair enough, but... I have to say it....

Back in my day, we not only had to walk to school, uphill, in both
directions, in the snow, but we also had to build our computers by
hand, from TTL logic gates. :-)
You had TTL logic gates? Boy, you were lucky! We were given relay
switches from cast-off telephone equipment. And we had to buy our
own electrodes and lemons to power the machine.

Ahh yes, programmable relay logic.  Still around, by the way. :-)

Ok, anybody here played with really old IBM card sorters - the kind that you programmed with patch cords? (Not me, I might add.)