Re: Driver Network Dell PowerEdge R720

> Hello,
>
> I made a download debian-6.0.7-amd64-netinst.iso.
> I have Dell Power EDGE, when I go to install debian, it not detect a
> driver network.
> I put broadcom but fail.

Rodrigo,

we cannot help if you don't tell what is the exact model of the network
card. Type the command

lspci -vnn

in the running Debian and copy the lines about the ethernet controller.

> What Is happening ?

Most probably your network card is not supported by the kernel 2.6.32 that
comes with debian 6.

Let me suggest that you install a testing version of Debian (version 7,
Wheeze). This version is close to stable. It will probably detect your
network card and also will save you from having to upgrade the system
during the next 4 years. Here you can find the testing images:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/

or

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-dvd/

However, if you insist in running Debhian stable, you could try to install
a full cdrom or dvd image (not netinst) and then download and install the
kernel 3.2 from Debian backports. Here you can find the package:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

You have to download this package and the packages of the dependencies,
and install them with dpkg. For example:

dpkg --install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64_3.2.35-2~bpo60+1_amd64.deb

This command must be done as root. When you do this command, probably the
installer will complain of a missing dependency. Then you go back to

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

find the dependency package, download and install with dpkg and then do
the command

dpkg --configure -a

Repeat this this untill everything install OK, reboot the system and
choose the kernel 3.2.0. It is a rather painful procedure.

Best regards,
João Luis.