No sound to HDMI on one install, works on another

Hi list,

My graphic card is connected through HDMI to my screen. I get no sound,
and no error messages: sounds seem to play correctly, according to
software, but I hear none. As if something was muted, though I checked
alsamixer ten times and activated everything I could.

I use a debian wheezy up to date. On the same computer, but a different
OS (Ubuntu 10.04), sound works. I may have changed something to make it
work, but I don’t remember.

From aplay -L, AFAIU, alsa recognises three cards, namely default (plays
to pulseaudio), some ATI SB card and my Radeon card that I want to make
work.

When I play to the Radeon card (using aplay -vv -D
"plug:'hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0'") I hear no sound, though everything
seems to work.

When I play to the other sound card ("sysdefault:CARD=SB"), connected to
analog headphones, it works.

When I play to the default card, I can see through pavucontrol that
pulse audio receives sound, but I can hear nothing.

alsa-info is at
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=10570aee7a643a6a7a6e0ac2f44918d834133312 . Below, some supplementary details.

Any idea what I could try? Or where I could look for differences which
may explain why it works on Ubuntu and not on Debian?
Olivier

$ lspci -vvnn
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00
Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:7599]
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at fe8f8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts
HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6800 Series] [1002:aa88]
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device [174b:aa88]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 47
        Region 0: Memory at febfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

$ aplay -L
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=SB
    HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Analog
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, ALC892 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output

$ aplay -vv -D
"plug:'hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0'"
/usr/share/sounds/speech-dispatcher/dummy-message.wav Playing WAVE
'/usr/share/sounds/speech-dispatcher/dummy-message.wav' :
Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (32000, sformat=U8)
Converter: libspeex (builtin)
Protocol version: 10002
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : U8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 8000
  exact rate   : 8000 (8000/1)
  msbits       : 8
  buffer_size  : 4000
  period_size  : 1000
  period_time  : 125000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1000
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 4000
  stop_threshold   : 4000
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 2251799813685248000
Slave: Route conversion PCM (sformat=S16_LE)
  Transformation table:
    0 <- 0
    1 <- 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : U8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 32000
  exact rate   : 32000 (32000/1)
  msbits       : 8
  buffer_size  : 16000
  period_size  : 4000
  period_time  : 125000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 4000
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 16000
  stop_threshold   : 16000
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 9007199254740992000
Slave: Hooks PCM
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 32000
  exact rate   : 32000 (32000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16000
  period_size  : 4000
  period_time  : 125000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 4000
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 16000
  stop_threshold   : 16000
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 9007199254740992000
Slave: Hardware PCM card 1 'HD-Audio Generic' device 3 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE