Re: Snapshot Program

--- On Tue, 2/26/13, Hélder Pinheiro <pinheiro.helder13@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Hélder Pinheiro <pinheiro.helder13@gmail.com>
Subject: Snapshot Program
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 10:21 AM

Hi,

Is there any program to do a kind of snapshots of my debian installation? Something that I can restore through CLI
I am always playing around with my distro and sometimes things do not run well, and I feed the need to restore a yesterday's image.

Is it possible?

Yes!  refractasnapshot and refractainstaller are the best apps (and Refracta the best repackaged Debian) out there IMO.  This link - http://www.saynotogmos.org/ss/refracta/home_ds.html - goes to a  work-in-progress redesign of their site.  You'll find links to snapshot/installer under downloads. Note: it may or may not be compatible with your 'flavor' of Debian.  A number of other distros also include it.

Refractasnapshot is a bash script that uses rsync to copy a running system and then compress it into a bootable ISO image format which can burned to CD/DVD or copied to a USB stick. The default options will work in most cases. If adjustments need to be made, well-commented configuration options are located in etc/refractasnapshot.conf. Depending on the location and amount of data on your system, the rsync excludes in /usr/lib/refractasnapshot/snapshot_exclude.list might need to be changed. Keep in mind that the ISO size must be compatible with media limitations (around 4gb).

refractasnapshot can be run in a terminal or from a graphical interface. Depending on your Desktop environment, GUI launchers should be automatically added to the main menu after installation. It only takes a few clicks to start the process which can take from 10-25 minutes depending on the amount of data being processed and the amount of disk compression used.

The refractainstaller can quickly install your running custom snapshot from either a graphical interface or terminal. The current installer supports both grub-legacy and grub2.