Re: Cost of packages in disk space?

Dear Jon,

Jon Dowland wrote:
> For simple per-package results, "dpigs" from debian-goodies gives you what you
> want (and is little more than a one-liner similar to what was posted by another
> to this thread, internally.)

Am I doing something wrong or does this not take into account
dependencies? Compare:

# dpkg-query -W -f='${Installed-Size} ${binary:Package}\n' | sort -n | tail -n 20 | tac
399871 texlive-fonts-extra
181047 adobereader-enu
150815 libreoffice-core
98439 chromium
88962 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
88150 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
80526 linux-source-3.7
80298 libwine
80141 inkscape
58870 tesseract-ocr-eng
58179 emacs23-common
55892 libwireshark2
54671 libgcj12
52719 cm-super
51402 libreoffice-common
50800 texlive-pictures-doc
50691 cuneiform-common
47190 debian-keyring
44436 opera
43427 lmodern
# dpigs -n 20
399871 texlive-fonts-extra
181047 adobereader-enu
150815 libreoffice-core
98439 chromium
88962 libgl1-mesa-dri
88150 libgl1-mesa-dri
80526 linux-source-3.7
80298 libwine
80141 inkscape
58870 tesseract-ocr-eng
58179 emacs23-common
55892 libwireshark2
54671 libgcj12
52719 cm-super
51402 libreoffice-common
50800 texlive-pictures-doc
50691 cuneiform-common
47190 debian-keyring
44436 opera
43427 lmodern

Sure, -H of dpigs is nice, but it appears to do even less than ‘my’
little n-liner (not to mention that it apparently can’t handle
multi-arch).

Best,

Claudius
--