Re: Cost of packages in disk space?

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:47:22AM -0600, green wrote:
> So, imagine that I have a full filesystem and want to fix it by
> removing a single package.  I would need to get a list of manually
> installed packages, and go through each one of them individually,
> proposing a removal and saving aptitude's freed space result.  A week
> later, I might have a list of freed space values to sort.

Yes, unless you pre-sort the list of packages that you investigate to maximize
the chance of solving your issue with the least removals. Some local knowledge
would make this most efficient, say you run a predominantly GNOME/GTK desktop,
for example, but you have a small number (perhaps 1) of QT or KDE apps
installed, if you could spare them then such packages should be high up the
list.

> So this would have to be scripted to be useful

It would certainly be useful if this was scripted.