Re: Running pae kernel on non-pae system

On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 22:26 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 2/24/2013 7:41 AM, Tixy wrote:
>
> > Actually, I just double checked, and my CPU [1] does have PAE after all.
>
> PAE is in every AMD/Intel chip manufactured post 1998.  You'd have to be
> using a Pentium MMX, AMD K6-2, or older chip, to lack PAE support.
>
> The general rule here:  if the chip clock is greater than 550 MHz it has
> PAE, PSE, PSE-36, or all three, and you're golden.  Few people are using
> chips this old, thus this question actually should never pop up.
> Curious that it does, given you can find this information so easily with
> Google.

Unfortunately, the top hits for me when searching for "pentium m pae" in
Google is Wikipedia, which is at best misleading if not wrong.  And the
second hit is someone asking what processors don't support PAE and
quoting Wikipedia as saying Pentium M is amongst those that don't. (I
haven't linked to those sources in case in helps in some small way to
boost their search rankings.)

I did however not rely on these source anyway and looked at Intel's site
and found the spec for my CPU said it had 32-bit Physical Address
Extensions, which confused me initially because 32-bits didn't seem
'extended'. (I guess it's just that they haven't baked or wired up move
address lines.)

--
Tixy