Re: Cost of packages in disk space?

Le Dim 24 février 2013 23:02, Alois Mahdal a écrit :
> Hello,
>

> I know that due to numerous dependencies and relations, it is
> a complicated question how much disk space a package costs:
>
> *   Do we want to count dependencies?  How deep (we don't want
> to count libc* 10000 times, do we)?
>
> *   Do we want to separately address
> *   `purge`able ~/.app-data?
> *   /etc/app/settings?
> *   /var/logs/app?
>

> *   Or are we looking for more sophisticated advice like "hey,
> do you know that libhuge is required only by this hardlyeverused-app"?
> ("think about upgrade costs, dude!")
>

> However, are there tools that attempt to provide this kind of
> help?  Or at least answer the partial questions?  Or can apt*/dpkg do this?
>

> Typical use case is when one is running out of disk space
> on / or /usr/.  Such tool could be applied in much wider sense, though.
>
> Suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
> aL.
>
> --
> Alois Mahdal

Using aptitude with it's gui will give you those data.
To be exact, at the confirmation step, you can see:
_ total amount of data to download
_ total amount of space which will be added/removed
_ amount of data to download per package
_ amount of data which will be freed/used per package

Since the gui is able to do that, I guess the cli will have some option
too, but I only rarely use cli, except with dpkg :)