Re: Gnome classic theme for 7?

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 02:19:25AM -0800, John Conover wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf writes:

> > > Do you mean icon and desktop theme for Gnome 3, or a version of Gnome 2, or
> > > something else?  The answer is complicated.
> > >
> > > Gnome 3 has a "classic mode" in 3.0 - 3.4.  Also called in some dists,
> > > "fallback mode".  After Gnome 3.6, fallback mode will go away.  There is a
> > > Debian-based distro called SolusOS (I think) that has a gnome 2-style
> > > desktop that is like Gnome 2 but uses gtk 3.  MATE desktop, with is
> > > available for Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian, and a few RPM-based dists, is a fork
> > > of Gnome 2.  It is rough in spots, but works fairly well for me.  There is
> > > Cinnamon, and you might consider an alternative like it.
> > >
> > > Is any of this a place for you to start, or have I misunderstood?
> >
> > If this is meant by "theme", I recommend to switch the desktop
> > environment from Gnome to Xfce4.
>
> I'll look at Xfce4. Its for my wife, who works in an M$ environment,
> and is really accustomed to Ubuntu/Gnome2 as an alternative at home.
>
> (Unity is just not going to work out for her-I use fvwm2, myself; the
> lack of an icon/auto mount for fvwm2 and Enlightenment is kind of a
> show stopper for her.)

Pcmanfm (a file manager) can automatically mount removable drives, but
the file manager has to be open.  I suppose you could run it on startup,
and even hide it if necessary.  There used to be gnome-volume-manager,
but I don't seem to have it on my Squeeze system.

As for icons on the desktop, I think rox-filer, fbdesk, and idesk can
manage that.  I've never used them, though, so I can't comment on how
well they work.

Personally, I use fluxbox with pcmanfm.  But I don't have pcmanfm
automatically mount anything.  When I insert a usb stick, it'll show up
in the left-hand pane and I click it if I want to mount it.

You can also add panels to simulate the look of Gnome 2, if necessary,
by using fbpanel or another panel program.

-Rob