RE: Boot and shutdown routines frequently abort in Squeeze

Hi,

>> Ouch! Have you ruled out hardware? Have you tried booting from a
>> live-cd, knoppix, grml, something like that?
>
> Actually no, I have not ruled out hardware failure.  In fact there are other unusual problems
> which may indicate a hardware failure.  I did run the smartctl long self test which produced the following result:
[...]

Maybe somewhat related. I have an HP server that started out as an Etch server. Never had any problems. Then when I moved up to the next Debian versions suddenly the server would no longer properly shut down. I had to kill it my doing holding the power button. Then when I upgraded further to where we are at the latest Squeeze version now somewhere along the line everything started to work once more. The server properly shuts down and I can do a remote reboot by using init 6.

Never found out what the cause was, I tried several solutions provided by this forum. At first we thought it might be related to the keyboard driver or something like it but nothing helped. I have a feeling it was something it the drivers part but maybe something at the kernel level that got sorted when I moved up to the current kernel. You might try getting a newer kernel and see if that solves your problem.

Bonno Bloksma