Re: Boot and shutdown routines frequently abort in Squeeze

On 2013-02-21 09:19, Chris Bannister wrote:

> Ouch! Have you ruled out hardware? Have you tried booting from a
> live-cd, knoppix, grml, something like that?

Actually no, I have not ruled out hardware failure.  In fact there are
other unusual problems which may indicate a hardware failure.  I did run
the smartctl long self test which produced the following result:

R61:~# smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda
smartctl 5.40 2010-07-12 r3124 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test Description  Status  Remaining  LifeTime(hours) LBA 1st error
1 Extended offline Completed without error	00%	13216
2 Extended offline Aborted by host		90%	13213
3 Short offline   Completed without error	00%	13212
4 Short offline   Completed without error	00%      1637

Test number 1 took over three hours to complete.

So if the hard drive is okay where else should or could I look for a
hardware failure, or is it possible for smartctl not to find hard drive
errors and still have a hard drive with terminal illness?

I intend to try a live installation of Ubuntu 12.10 to see whether I can
use with that installation either gnucash or hardinfo.  Both these
applications stopped running overnight.  One day they were both working,
but the next day both did not on account of a segmentation error.

I should try the live installation and report back.

Regards, Ken Heard, Toronto Canada and Banglamung Thailand (at the
latter place at the moment).