Boot and shutdown routines frequently abort in Squeeze

I have a Lenovo R61 laptop which I upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze at the end of November last. Ever since that upgrade the boot routine frequently aborts. The kernel is installed, and the boot routine continues as far as the point where the font size changes. At that point the screen goes blank, and the boot stops.

I then have to shut down the machine by holding down the start button for the required four seconds, and start the boot again for as many times as necessary to achieve a complete boot. It takes on average 3.5 such restarts each time I start the machine for a boot to be finally successful.

Furthermore, ever since I converted this machine on 2013-02-18 Monday to dependency based booting, the shutdown process no longer is completed. It goes to run level 0, closes a number of processes, returns the line : “INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel” and then stops completely. To complete the shutdown it is necessary to hold down the “start” button for the requisite four seconds.

I would be grateful for any information as the why these two phenomena occur and how to return to a normal boot and shutdown.

Regards, Ken Heard, Toronto, Canada, and Banglamung, Thailand.