Re: lvm2 size of logical volume after lvcreate --size 348g after mkfs.ext3 -m 0 is only 343 gigabytes?

Mitchell Laks wrote:
> I agree Bob. I was just suprised at how much space 5-6GB is eaten up
> by the overhead. I have several 8G USB drives and remember using 5
> 1/4 inch drives. To throw away 5 gb

Yes, but...  You shouldn't think of it that way.

> even though it is only 1.42% of the drive as formated seems like
> alot. I am being silly I guess.

That is the right way.  It is only 1.4% overhead to keep track of 354G
of space.  That seems pretty efficient to me.

How much overhead was consumed on previous generations?  (I don't
know.)  Those 1.44M floppies you mentioned were usually formated with
a FAT filesystem and that is a much simpler format and had many
limitations as compared to a journaled filesystem capable of managing
1000 x more data very easily.

> I guess I am resigned to wasting 5G on a 354G partition.

Just keep reminding yourself.  1.4%  :-)

Bob