Re: lvm2 size of logical volume after lvcreate --size 348g after mkfs.ext3 -m 0 is only 343 gigabytes?

Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi I am trying to backup a volume which has size 347G. So I thought
> only shows 343G instead of 348G.
> So my question is where have those extra 5G gone to?

Times change so this info may be out of date with the newer
filesystems but at one time journal filesystems needed filesystem
space for the journal and also space needs to be allocated for the
inodes.  (See 'df -i' output.)  I assume LVM will need some space too.
There is always overhead.

Bob