Re: lvm2 size of logical volume after lvcreate --size 348g after mkfs.ext3 -m 0 is only 343 gigabytes?

On 17:31 Thu 14 Feb     , Bob Proulx wrote:
> Times change so this info may be out of date with the newer
> filesystems but at one time journal filesystems needed filesystem
> space for the journal and also space needs to be allocated for the
> inodes.  (See 'df -i' output.)  I assume LVM will need some space too.
> There is always overhead.
>
> Bob

I agree Bob. I was just suprised at how much space 5-6GB is eaten up by the overhead. I have several 8G USB drives
and remember using 5 1/4 inch drives. To throw away 5 gb even though it is only  1.42% of the drive as formated
seems like alot. I am being silly I guess.

For the record:
I  formated  the partition wih
mkfs.ext3 -m0 -O ^resize_inode  /dev/mypartions
it did not save any significant space compared
with
mkfs.ext3 -m0   /dev/mypartions
so I left it the way it was earlier.

I guess I am resigned to wasting 5G on a 354G partition.

So it goes.

Thanks!

Mitchell