Re: grub and gpt

On 02/11/2013 06:09 PM, dAgeCKo wrote:

Hello,

Several (about 9) months ago, when I updated grub from squeeze to
wheezy, it failed to boot my system (GPT, 2To) so I kept grub at the
squeeze version (1.98+20100804).

Now that wheezy is coming more and more stable, I want to know if there
are any bad luck that the new grub (1.99-26) will also fail to boot my
system, or is it totally safe fore me to update it ? Or maybe should I
add other packages (like the grub-efi-amd64) ?

Any hints about this ? I would like something sure if possible (mainly
if some people had the same issue), because I would like to avoid to
repair the boot loader for X reasons.

Thanks.

Hi,

Grub2 in wheezy works for computers with BIOS. My computer has BIOS too, but I tried on a virtual machine (VirtualBox 4.2.6) with switched EFI on and what a surprise, after the installation and the first load of grub2, my root ext3 partition was changed its type to "EFI boot" and after the restart my VM couldn't boot again.

If it's a Virtualbox bug, it's ok for me, but if it's not, that is not good.

For testing wheezy with EFI I used this ISO image http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-CD-1.iso

from 11-Feb-2013 06:34.

Best regards
Georgi